Current:Home > MarketsSignalHub-Judge rules against Prince Harry in early stage of libel case against Daily Mail publisher -FutureFinance
SignalHub-Judge rules against Prince Harry in early stage of libel case against Daily Mail publisher
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 05:34:36
LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry lost a preliminary round Friday in his libel case against against the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after giving up his status as a working member of the royal family.
A London judge said the Duke of Sussex failed to knock out Associated Newspaper Ltd.’s defense that its article reflected an honest opinion. A hearing is SignalHubscheduled Tuesday to discuss the consequences of the ruling.
Justice Matthew Nicklin said in that ruling that “it is not fanciful that the Defendant will be successful, at trial.” He scheduled a hearing Tuesday in the High Court to discuss the consequences of the ruling.
The ruling comes just a day after another judge concluded three days of arguments — mostly behind closed doors — over whether the government unfairly stripped Harry of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, is challenging the government’s decision to provide security to him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. Harry has said hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless news media hounding threatens their safety.
The Mail on Sunday and Mail Online published an article in February 2022 about the issue headlined: “How Prince Harry tried to keep his legal fight with the government over police bodyguards a secret … then — just minutes after the story broke — his PR machine tried to put a positive spin on the dispute.”
Harry claims the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper libeled him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements about his case challenging the government.
Associated Newspapers argued the article expressed an “honest opinion” and did not seriously harm Harry’s reputation.
Nicklin previously ruled the article was defamatory but had not considered whether the story was accurate or in the public interest.
The government, meanwhile, has defended its decision to withdraw full protection for Harry because he stepped down from his role as a senior working member of the family. It said he was treated fairly and provided with security occasionally when he visits.
Another judge earlier this year shot down Harry’s request to privately reimburse London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A government lawyer had argued officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”
The dispute with the Mail is one of four lawsuits Harry has pending against publishers of British tabloids in his ongoing battle with the press.
His three other cases allege that journalists at the Mail, the Daily Mirror and the Sun used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt about him.
___
Follow the AP’s coverage of Prince Harry at https://apnews.com/hub/prince-harry
veryGood! (22)
Related
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- West Virginia governor wants lawmakers to revisit law allowing high school athletic transfers
- Raiders DE Chandler Jones away from team for 'private matter' after Instagram posts
- Aryna Sabalenka, soon to be new No. 1, cruises into U.S. Open semifinals
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- A female inmate dies after jumping out of a moving vehicle during a jail transport in Kentucky
- 'Face to Face' is a murder mystery that lives up to the tradition of Nordic Noir
- Trump Media's funding partner gets reprieve only days before possible liquidation
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- E. Jean Carroll wins partial summary judgment in 2019 defamation case against Trump
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Coco Gauff becomes first American teen to reach U.S. Open semifinals since Serena Williams
- When Big Oil Gets In The Carbon Removal Game, Who Wins?
- How much are NFL tickets in 2023? See what teams have the cheapest, most expensive prices
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Stock market today: Asian markets are mostly lower as oil prices push higher
- Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos Give Glimpse Into Their Summer Vacation With Their Kids—and Cole Sprouse
- America’s state supreme courts are looking less and less like America
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Bryant Gumbel’s ‘Real Sports,’ HBO’s longest-running show, will end after 29 seasons
Americans drink a staggering amount of Diet Coke, other sodas. What does it do to our stomachs?
Kelly Osbourne Shares Insight into Her Motherhood Journey With Baby Boy Sidney
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
NFL power rankings: Which teams are looking good entering Week 1?
Trump's public comments could risk tainting jury pool, special counsel Jack Smith says
Maryland officer suspended after video shows him enter back seat of police car with woman